I just think this is too funny not to share.....as most first time parents, the first month home w/ Dylan was a little stressful. Besides reading every baby book ever published, we were clueless on how to take care of a baby! Oh, and add that to the whole breastfeeding thing, can you say overwhelmed!
Anyways.....we were really caught off guard by all the decisions you have to make for your baby right away! I guess we thought he would just make them for himself. In the hospital, it was "Is he going to breastfeed?" "Do you want him circumcised?" "Do you want him to sleep in the nursery?" Do you want him t"o have this vaccination?" etc. etc....and THEN there is the "Do you want him to have a pacifier?" (this was specifically asked right before he went in for his circumcision which of course freaks you out!!!) So, after being asked this question Luke and I cluelessly look back and forth at eachother going "uuhh, uhhh, what do you think honey?" "I donno, what do you think?".
I, like many other breastfeeding moms, had been very well versed on the "Don't let your baby have a pacifier until breastfeeding is well established, they could have nipple confusion." Shoot, I didn't want that! And then there is the nagging grandparents, "He's going to be hanging on to it until he's like 3, those things are so silly" yada yada.
Well ultimately, we decided to say yes. The thought of little Dylan not having comfort in a pacifier while getting his wee wee snipped pulled at our heart strings.
Decision made, Right? No, not really....we kept debating that dang pacifier for the next month. He LOVED the pacifier, he could suck all day and all night, and if it wasn't the pacifier, it would have been me. And boy did I need a break! So eventually we learned to love the paci too. Whenever he fussed we popped it in and we were good to go. It was REALLY great when we were out in public. We didn't have to worry about a screaming baby.
Well ..... as I was making plans on how we will eventually wean the paci with the paci-fairy (yes I'm already thinking like 2 yrs ahead) Dylan decided the paci was overrated and it was more fun to chew on it. Yep, he now refuses to take the paci at all, actually it makes him mad when we try to give it to him or he just wants to play with it. No more easy solution for his fussiness, we actually have to work to make him happy (ha!). Ohh...all those irrational fears for that one silly decision we had to make. The joys of parenting have only just begun!
Friday, January 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment